Monsanto is the world’s biggest developer of genetically modified crops. A.K.A. the provider of the seeds that eventually become the food for millions of people all around the world. Monsanto also happens to be the same company that was responsible for Agent Orange. It’s so nice when a company that makes a substance used for herbicidal warfare also makes something that eventually turns into something we eat.
The following facts were taken from the Organic Consumers website and are just a very small example of the enormous stronghold Monsanto has on the safety and welfare of our food system. In this story greed and power trump the safety and health of all humans.
A Monsanto official told the New York Times that the corporation should not have to take responsibility for the safety of its food products.
“Monsanto should not have to vouchsafe the safety of biotech food,” said Phil Angell, Monsanto’s director of corporate communications.“Our interest is in selling as much of it as possible. Assuring its safety is the FDA’s job.”
It would be nice to think the FDA can be trusted with these matters, but think again. Monsanto has succeeded in insuring that the government regulatory agencies let Monsanto do as it wishes.
The following is an example of the revolving door activity as it relates to Monsanto, the FDA, and our government:
- Clarence Thomas: Remember him? Well prior to being the Supreme Court Judge who put GW Bush in office, Clarence Thomas was Monsanto’s lawyer.
- Anne Veneman: Anne was the former US Secretary of Agriculture. How convenient for Monsanto, because she was also on the Board of Directors of Monsanto’s Calgene Corporation.
- Donald Rumsfeld: Good Ole Donny! Former Secretary of Defense was also on the Board of Directors of Monsanto’s Searle Pharmaceuticals.
- Tommy Thompson: Former US Secretary of Health. Thompson received $50K in donations from Monsanto during his winning campaign for Wisconsin governor.
- John Ashcroft: The two congressmen receiving the most donations from Monsanto during the 2000 election were Larry Combest, Former Chairman of the House Agricultural Committee and Missouri Senate candidate John Ashcroft (later named Attorney General) Source: Dairy Education Board
More Monsanto government ties here.
When talking to family and friends about our food choices, I am made aware of the natural trust that people have in the FDA’s approval of food products and ingredients. After all, the FDA is responsible for protecting the public health by assuring the safety, efficacy, and security of human and veterinary drugs, biological products, medical devices, our nation’s food supply, cosmetics, and products that emit radiation.
We have been conditioned to believe that we should trust the FDA. But most of us do not realize the revolving door connection between the FDA, the corporations, and our law makers and how those connections undermine the notion that the FDA’s responsibility is to protect the public health by assuring safety, efficacy, and security of drugs and our nation’s food supply.
When it all boils down, it’s about profits and power and not about the ultimate safety and security of the human race. But we do have the power to change this. Please join OCA’s Campaign to Mobilize One Million Consumers to End Monsanto’s Global Corporate Terrorism.
Sources: FDA, Organic Consumer Association